CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, August 1, 2008

Friday Movie Review - An American Tail


Today I have a very special Reader's Request, because it doesn't come from a kitty! It comes from a bean named Jason who lives like a squillion miles away. He is my mommy's friend. They instant message each other lots. I don't know much about him, because I've never talked to him or met him, but I know he is a math major in college and he has a doggie named Hunter. And he reads my movie reviews! I feel honored that someone outside of our kitty blogging world pays attention to my blog, so I thought I would review his movie for him today. Jason wanted me to review "An American Tail," because he was interested to know what a kitty's opinion of it would be.


An American Tail (1986)
Directed By: Don Bluth
Written By: Judy Freudberg

This story is about Fievel Mousekewitz and his adventure as his family immigrates from Russia to the United States. The Mousekewitz family decides to leave their homeland because they are being terrorized by the Russian kitties, and they have heard that there are no kitties in America. As they travel across the ocean in their boat, Fievel is washed overboard during a terrible storm and is separated from his family. Luckily, Fievel survives and lands ashore near the Statue of Liberty. Fievel manages to make some new friends quickly, and begins his search for his family.

Kitties, if your mommy is as weepy as my mommy is, you may not be able to watch this movie with them. My mommy can't watch without getting upset and leaky-eyed. Also, if you aren't willing to admit that maybe some kitties are less than perfect furries, you probably shouldn't watch this movie either. There is really only one decent and friendly kitty in this movie, a ginger mancat named Tiger. Other than him, kitties are portrayed as bad and evil furries. I suppose this might be fair from a mousie's perspective, but it certainly doesn't feel good to see your furry kind cast in the role of evil and corrupt despots.

If you can overlook the slur to all of kitty-kind, this is a great movie. It is based, of course, on the surge of immigration to America from Russia in the early 20th century. The kitties represent the corrupt and tyrannical aspects of government/society, both in Russia and in the United States at that time. For any bean or kitty who is in to History as much as my mommy is, you will enjoy watching the parallels. This movie is not only safe but is also educational for sticky little beans, kittens, and puppies. However, I have to warn you that some bits are a little bit scary, and parts of it are super upsetting, like when Fievel is first separated from his family.


I give "An American Tail" two paws up and a chirp for being not only family friendly, but providing a unique perspective of bean history. (I also throw in one little hiss for not having more nice kitties in the film.)

And don't forget that the movie gave us this great song!
Click here for a clip featuring "Somewhere Out There"
(Be prepared to get leaky-eyed.)


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

In other news, I almost forgot to thank Karen Jo for giving me this totally pawsome award! Karen Jo has a great blog devoted to limericks for us kitties, and she is a very caring and creative ladybean. That's why it means so much to me that she gave me this award because she enjoys visiting and reading my blog. Wow, Karen Jo, you are the best!

21 meows:

Anonymous said...

Well done review, Tybalt. You were fair even though cats were portrayed in a stereotypical fashion.

There was a sequel to this film, "Fievel Goes West." There should have been a 2nd sequel, to be called "An American Tail III: Hawaii Fievel."

Cat Street Boyz said...

Mommy was surprised to see you chose this movie...yesterday she just added Fievel, singing the version of Somewhere, to our music player! Oh yes, we sit with mommy and watch these cutsy movies that make her smile....she said if we could speak we would sound like Fievel! Sadly, we do have that side too that wants to chase the crawling and scurring creatures!=^Y^=Tinker

Sunny's Mommy said...

That does not sound like my kind of movie. All kitties are evil? :-p

Congratulations on your award :-D It's very well deserved.

Sweet Purrfections said...

Yes, even though kitties are portrayed at "bad" this is really a cute little movie. Mom loves to watch these little feel good movies and loves the music. My mom is into music as much as mathematics.

Thanks for the review.

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Tybalt
Another fabulous review! We always look forward to your friday reviews...concats on the award!
Purrs
Abby

Daisy said...

I think I will have to watch this one, too! Thanks for the great review.

The Meezers or Billy said...

Great review Tybalt!!!!

DANA!! PLAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Billy

Anonymous said...

We've not seen this one! Thanks for your fine review, Tybalt!

Mickey's Musings said...

Tybalt,I can always count on you to give great reviesw!!! Thanks :)
Purrs Mickey

JB's Big and Small Worlds said...

We will put this one on our "to see" list. Great review, bro!
--JB

Leslie said...

We think you've very clever the way you can do this. :)

Waving at you from Australia!

mister jeter harris, hizself said...

dat wuzza eksellent revyoo tybalt. i will ask mi mom to rent dis moovie fer me.
luv--jh

Christine and FAZ said...

My humans saw this one a long time ago and remembers enjoying it. Maybe we will watch it again based on your review. FAZ

Liss said...

This was one of my fav. movies as a child, probably my fav. I loved it! Could watch it over and over. I haven't seen it in years. What great memories this brought back.

Motor Home Cats said...

What is it with Mom's that cry at movies. Ours does the same thing. Have you reviewed the movie "The Rescuers?"

That was one of mom's favorite movies as a child.

Tiki, Tavi, Cody, Camie and Miss Jade

Kellykat said...

Very good review! We agree that it deserves at least a little hiss for the evil kitty stereotype but overall a good movie.
-Stryder, Scotchy & Sugar

michico*Adan*Lego-小芥*阿丹*樂高 said...

I like the review and I love this movie~!!
I haven't seem this movie our listen it's soundtrack for a while~! I miss it!

Mr. Hendrix said...

yes, that movie certainly does portray cats poorly, but we know the truth don't we? i'm with you on the little hiss.
my mommy is very very leaky about these types of movies too.
Thank you for the nice purrs while I've been sick. I'm sure they are helping me get better faster. I'm lucky to have such great friends!

PS bendrx thinks if Ivy runs to the basement a couple of times, we'll feel lots better

Brainball said...

Congratulations on your award! It's very well-deserved. And we Ballicai haven't seen An American Tail. It does sound rather slanted toward the mouse point of view! *grin*

Thank you for celebrating my Gotcha Day with me! Thanks to wonderful friends like you, it was my best Gotcha Day yet.

Love and rumbly purrs from Brainball.

Lux said...

That was a wonderful review; now we're thinking maybe we'll watch it.

Congratulations on your awardie!

Samantha & Mom said...

We have seen that Movie and it was great! You are such a good reviewer Tybalt!
Purrrrrs and Nosekisses,
Samantha