CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, January 18, 2008

Friday Movie Review - Sleeping Beauty


I was pondering and pondering all week about which movie I should review today. I watch so many of them, after all, and it can be difficult for a kitty to choose! And then, just as I was about to tug my fur out in frustration, my wonderful tuxie princess inspired me! Just look!


After gazing upon Samantha's regal loveliness, it came to me . . . I should review a movie just for her! So today I have chosen to review a true royal classic, "Sleeping Beauty."


Sleeping Beauty (1959)


Directed By: Clyde Geronimi

Written By: Charles Perrault (original story)

Erdman Penner (screenplay)


I am sure most of us have seen this classic Disney film. I have heard that when my mommy was just a kitten herself she would watch this over and over and over, until she could quote the movie from beginning to end! Even today my mommy wears flannel pajamas with the evil fairy Maleficent printed on them.

I have to say, kitties, that in my opinion this is the best of the original princess movies that Disney made. The look is unique; no other Disney film has quite the same look or style. Effort was obviously made to pay homage to medieval french art and tapestries, making the film into a moving piece of art. "Sleeping Beauty" also has what is probably the most frightening and powerful villain in the form of Maleficent, the evil fairy. Not only is the film straight-forward about Maleficent's intention to actually kill Princess Aurora, it also has Maleficent telling Prince Phillip as she battles him that when he fights her, he is dealing with "all the forces of Hell."

I ask you, kitties, do you think that any Disney animated feature of today would dare include such things?





Of course, not all of "Sleeping Beauty" is dark and full of peril. There are some wonderfully funny moments, mostly involving the good fairies Flora, Fauna, and Merriweather. The battle between Flora and Merriweather over the color of the birthday dress for 'Briar Rose' springs to mind as an excellent example. There is also romance, as Prince Phillip comes upon Briar Rose in the forest and falls in love with her, not knowing that they are already betrothed and have been since she was a mere baby.


And, of course, there is the famous "true love's kiss."

"Sleeping Beauty" gets two paws up and a tail floof for combining artistry, humor, and a dark sense of danger into a movie that is beloved by kittens yet manages to be entertaining for cats.

Samantha, would you like to teleport over and watch it with me? We can have popcorn and temptations and snuggle on my favorite fuzzy blankie.

25 meows:

Dragonheart, Merlin, Devi, and Chloe said...

Excellent movie review, Tybalt! :) Sleeping Beauty is a wonderful Disney film. :) You hit on all the reasons why it is such a good movie! :)

Diamond Emerald-Eyes said...

It's not that they wouldn't dare to include such things, it's that the film would earn a PG rating today instead of a G rating. It's crazy, but that's the way it is.

My bean thinks she is Maleficent.

Captain Jack and Sir Dante said...

Our Mommy loves Maleficent. She also wonders when you are going to review Alice in Wonderland cause there is a really cool cat in that and she is a tad bit obsessed as you know.

Jenny said...

Oooohhhh...we ain't never seen "Sleepin' Beauty"...we just GOTS to see it now after readin' your review. Thanks so much, Tybalt!
Very truly yours,
The Whiskers & Purrs Gang

Samantha & Mom said...

Tybalt, I'm on my way over to watch it with you. I love popcorn. I can say that I have never seen Sleeping Beauty, but your review brought it to life! WOW! It sounds wonderful!!
Your loving princess,
Samantha

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Tybalt

I am sure that Sam will not be able to resist that sweet offer!

Purrs
Abby

Daisy said...

It has been a really, really long time since my Mommie watched Sleeping Beauty. What a classic.

Anonymous said...

*giggle*, "two paws up and a tail floof"! What a great review. And Sleeping Beauty is a wonderful, romantic movie. *smile*

Purrs and snuggles from Marilyn.

Mr. Hendrix said...

excellent review. mommy collects disney movies on dvd and we have sleeping beauty! what a good movie to watch with your samantha. you could hold her paw if she gets scared!

JB's Big and Small Worlds said...

Great review!
--JB

Unknown said...

I love your movie reviews, they are always so informative.

Jimmy Joe said...

That is a beautiful movie, Tybalt, but I have to confess, the dragon at the end kind of scares me. And I think Sleeping Beauty's bird friends look kinda yummy.
Your buddy, Jimmy Joe

michico*Adan*Lego-小芥*阿丹*樂高 said...

From my point to view,
I think Sleeping Beauty is the most beautiful girl that Disney cartoon have drawed.

Her face and adumbration is perfect~!!!! And this cartoon's background illustrator is the best~!!! I forgot his name ^^;;;

Anyway~!
I love this animate movie very much~!!!! The most artest ~!!

Team Tabby said...

Oh, we hope that Samantha was able to teleport over and watch da movie with you Tybalt! You chose a good one to watch.

Moe & Mindy

Motor Home Cats said...

That was a very good review. Mom said she hasn't seen it since she was a kitten herself. That snow looked like a lot of fun. We never get any here. It doesn't ever get cold enough.

Tiki, Tavi, Cody and Camie

snowforest said...

We never seen this movie either but we plan to watch it after ur review ~ u look very funny with ur glasses ~ Samantha's piktur is just pawesome!
Purrs from the SnowForest family :)

Christine and FAZ said...

A good review and one of my favourites even if it is a little bit scary. FAZ

MISS PEACH ~(^.^)~ said...

Oh Tybalt my mommy named her cozy cottage Briar Rose! We have lots of climbing roses like the ones that covered the kingdom in Sleeping Beauty! Thank you for another gr8 review.
Mostly we would like to thank you for the kindness of your bid on the Coat of Mnay Colors bracelet. Maybe if you still would like to have one, say for valentines day for your mommy...my mommy might make one if I ask her to. SHe even does them in favorite colors too. Just so you know, no pressure:)
I am watching the PATS win today and I can give you that review right now!!
Much love and thank you for being my dear friend Tybalt...Miss Peach

Queen Snickers, Empress and Princess Renna said...

Sleeping Beauty is one of Momma's favorite, next to Cinderella. Daddy gave it to her last year for her birthday. Hehe seeing Samantha reminded me I have a Princess costume too! ~Queen Snickers

Queen Snickers, Empress and Princess Renna said...

TAG!! hehe I tagged you for a meme ~Queen Snickers

The Crew said...

Oh my, Samanta does look lovely in her princess hat. How perfectly dressed she is to watch Sleeping Beauty with you!

Tipper

PB 'n J said...

What a great review, it is one of our mommy's favorite's as well. She still remembers going to see it in the drive in with her mommy and daddy! And it's our bean-cousin's very favorite movie - 'cause Aurora wears pink and pink is her favorite color.

Oh yeah - do Alice too, that's another favorite (but as you might have guessed, Mommy has a thing for Disney!)

The Cat Realm said...

Wonderful movie review! And you both look so beautiful - I hope you had fun watching it again together!

Big Piney Woods Cats said...

Our Momma loves all the old Disney classics. She says Snow White is her favorite. She had the original 78 record of Sleeping Beauty!!!

Patches

Anonymous said...

Mom says that was one of her favorite movies when she was young. We like watching movies with her 'cause she gives us lots of scritches during the movie.