CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, November 16, 2007

Friday Movie Review - The Phantom of the Opera

Today's movie review is one that will make my mommy swoon when she reads this. She has always loved the story of "The Phantom of the Opera," has read the original novel as well as many other variations, has watched just about every version of it on film, and has the entire score of Andrew Lloyd Webber's musical memorized by heart. It is no surprise, then, that this film would be high on her list. I am sad to say, though, that this film version is her favorite, not only because it is based on the musical, but because of the star. My mommy adores Gerard Butler. In something that she calls a "Top Ten List," Gerard Butler is her number one. I don't know exactly what this means, but I do know that mommy acts like she's had some really good catnip whenever she sees him in anything.





The Phantom of the Opera (2004)

Directed by: Joel Schumacher

Screenplay By: Joel Schumacher and Andrew Lloyd Webber

Based on the novel by: Gaston Leroux

I am sure that most of us kitties are aware of the basic storyline. The famous Paris Opera House is cursed by the presence of a "phantom." A young ingenue named Christine joins the Opera's ballet troupe, and the phantom falls in love with her and trains her voice in secret. Soon Christine gets her chance to sing the lead in an opera, and the audience loves her, as does her old childhood friend, Raoul. However, Christine is abducted by the phantom, who turns out to be no ghost but a disfigured musical genius living in the Opera House's catacombs. Will Christine choose Raoul or the phantom?

Here are a few pictures from the movie. It is a gorgeous production, and while it doesn't follow the stageplay exactly, it still does a wonderful job. The colors are rich and vibrant, the Opera House is larger than life and opulent, and the musical score is rich and full of feeling.


The Phantom Takes Christine to His Lair





The Phantom Seduces Christine



My Mommy Swoons

My mommy loves this movie. She loves it enough that she talks to it. For example, when the Phantom asks Christine "Have you forgotten your angel?" my mommy cries out "No I haven't! I'm right here!" I think she's disappointed that he never seems to hear her.

As good as this movie is, I have to say that we kitties could do a much better job. Just look at all the talented kitties we know right here on the catblogosphere! I believe that if we all got together, we could produce the best interpretation of Gaston Leroux's "Phantom of the Opera" ever!

I can just see it now . . . Daisy can be in charge of costumes . . . Monty Q. Kat with his spectacular singing skills can play the lead role as The Phantom with our sweet Abby as Christine . . . HRH Yao-Lin can direct (he has had all that experience with his slave) . . . Adan would make a very dashing and sweet Raoul . . . Cheysuli would make a very convincing Madame Giry . . . and I can just see Princess Tara as Christine's best friend, Meg Giry. Captain Jack and Dante could be in charge of all the props and lighting. They wouldn't have any problems balancing or dealing with ropes, after all that time at sea! There are so many parts and jobs that so many of us could do! I think it would be absolutely wonderful. And I, of course, would produce!

We would have stunning musical numbers, such as "The Kitty of the Opera," "All I Purr Of You," "Prima Kitty," and "The Meowing of the Night."

I am telling you kitties, we would have a HUGE hit on our hands!

I give the human movie "Phantom of the Opera" two paws up, because they did the best they could, being only people. But I give our future production "The Kitty of the Opera" two paws up plus a purr!!!!!

30 meows:

Dragonheart, Merlin, Devi, and Chloe said...

Excellent movie review. I think I could play a part in the movie. I have a very musical voice after all.

My mom loves the stage version of the musical. She has seen it in Toronto and Ottawa, and was just blown away. :)

HRH Yao-Lin said...

Mu human has that version on dvd! She also went to see the Phantom last year at the theatre royal in London. She said it was fantastic! Hence my halloween costume :-)

That is a great review - the human says gerard butler is the sexiest man alive and she fell for him big time in 300! Yes, thats the same guy!

x

Zippy, Sadie, Speedy and M'Gee said...

Oh, our mom is just so lame. She's neffur seen ALW's phantom and had no clue who Gerard Butler was. Thanks to you the old broad is getting some culture...finally.

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Great review...we look forward to every friday so we can read your review.

I think we ought to put together a cat opera!

Purrs
Miss Boo

Gemini said...

Oh Cheysuli is preening that she has any part at all!

Mr. Hendrix said...

Excellent review Prince Tybalt. Mommy saw that play last year when it came to Cincinnati and loved it! The even made the stage look like a river mommy said and the chandelier acted like it would fall. Wowee! Maybe she'll rent the movie for me to watch.

Hi Holly & Ivy! Bendrix is laying low cause of an unfortunate missing reporter from the AP (see Zevo Calimari's blog...). He of course knows nothing...

Enjoy having your mommy home all week!

Daisy said...

I saw that one! I saw that one! It was very romantic. But you are right, we cats could do a better job.

Sassy Kat said...

How did you know that Phantom is one of my favorite movies????? Too bad there are not any cats in it though. Thanks for stopping by the studio's today. Sorry I missed you as we were in rehersal. Consider writing a short short story yourself or starring in one that was written by someone else. See you soon
I might ask you if you would like to do a write up on our CCSI premiere? That would be great if you could, if you don't want to that would be OK too. Maybe I could find two other critics that could do one also. What do you think?

Anonymous said...

Now there's an idea! Run with it, Tybalt!

Icon Baxter Bentley said...

Oh, the Kitty of the Opera!! I love the thought!!

Karen Jo said...

I also love the story of the Phantom of the Opera and I have all the major versions of it. I still very much like the Claude Raines version, but this one is probably my favorite. Kitty of the Opera is a fantastic idea.

The Cat Realm said...

A great movie review with stunning pictures! Makes one want to go and rent it again...

Milton said...

We haven't seen that movie, but mine mombean saw it on stage in New York.
She thinks we kitties could do a really great job making our own. I could be the stage manager. I gots a loud voice and mombean tells me I'm kinda bossy.
---Beezer

Tommy and Teaghan said...

Yoo has made excellent choices for da cast of Cat's of the Phantom.

MaoMao said...

I loved readin your review! Momma loves the music from Phantom and would love to see it onna stage.

I think yur right, wekitties could do a GREAT job with that story!

Kittyhugs and purrs from MaoMao!

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a wonderful movie review, and what a romantic story! I think a kitty-produced version would be a delight, *smile*.

Purrs and snuggles from Marilyn!

Mark's Mews (Marley, Lori, Loki, and Binq) said...

Hmmm, we think ya may be onta somethin with doin a "Kitty of the Opera". We would both be innerested in tryin out for it...

The Misadventures Of Me said...

Thats a good movie reviews. I do likes your ideas of a kitty production of the movies...

Sassy Kat said...

Oh, I almost forgot great job today! Rest up as tomorrow is another big day on the CCSI set. I would like all cast member to be present at showtime tomorrow, 11:00 am est. Thanks for a good job well done. I am also inviting the reviewers too so come on down Samatha, see you tomorrow.

MISS PEACH ~(^.^)~ said...

Oh Tybalt! I hope you do not think me too ungracious of a kitty for taking such a long time to return your visit. You can only imagine how happy I was to see you come cheer me on while I was so very sick. Mommy was heartbroken and thought for sure I would not regain any of my spirit and was prepared for the worst. But I was worth a small miracle. With your purrrayers and some good medicine, I have regained my strength day by day. Mommy would not have made it through her worries about me without your comfort. Each night we keep you in our prayers and wish you endless Blessings this Thanksgiving season.
Love and hugs from our house to yours, Miss Peach and the mommy
who love Phantom of the Opera

Angel MoMo and Charlotte said...

Yay! SS is such a fan of Phantom of the Opera. She has been to the stage show twice (in Sydney and London) and loves both, seen the movie several times and plays the CD zillions of times. I reckon I can give a good rendition of most of the songs.

Why don't you do a Kitty Phantom of the Opera and cast all us kitties in there? It would be great fun.

Sassy Kat said...

Touching base and wondering if you saw all of the CCSI series? I am so happy that ya said ya would do a review for me. I was wondering if it would be possible to have it done by Tuesday morning? I will try and get the other review turned in and get a post up. I might try and see if some of our vieweres are interested in leaving comments. I am also wondering if and when you are going into production for Phantom? I might be able to give you some pointers. I think you are on to something with this. What do you say? Again thanks for offering to do a review of our show.

michico*Adan*Lego-小芥*阿丹*樂高 said...

I love that movie, but love the oprea more~!
Thanks for this review~!! You introducing well~!!
I have seen this movie 3 times, it's really great~!

The Cat Realm said...

I see - your staff doesn't let you on the computer to post anymore either!!! My staff is really bad lately with computer time - I have asked around for punishment for them!
Karl

The Crew said...

Oh Ty, this is amazing!!

Our Mom LOVES this musical too and has seen it performed live twice here in Milwaukee. She's watched the movie 3 times and plays the CD so often, we've got it memorized.

So, here goes...imagine us doing 4 parts here.

"Prima Kitty, first lady of the stage
Your devotees are on their knees to implore you
Can you bow out while they're meowing your name?
Think of how they all adore you"

Sassy Kat said...

Oh, I thought you would want to know that when I was visiting with Beau today I found out he isn't feeling too good. Thinking if we all could visit over there and let him know that he is in our thoughts and prayers this might make him feel better. Beau mentioned that he needed healing prayers. Thought you would want to know.

PB 'n J said...

Excellent choice - it's one of our mom's favorite movis too.

Jimmy Joe said...

Thanks for visiting me while my momma was gone, Tybalt! We like the Phantom, too. Momma loves cheesy gothic spectacles, and she's been to the real opera house in Paris, too!
Your buddy, Jimmy Joe

Hot(M)BC said...

Grate reevue. Mommy luv that movie and wants to go to the play too.
Happy Fanksgiving! Hope yoo and yore Mommy are hafin fun togefur!
Purrrrrrrrrs!
Sanjee, Boni Maroni, Mini, Gree and Pepi

Toffee K. Ripple Fuzzypants & Feline American Angels said...

Oooo ... That looks furry mysterious an' romantic!

Happy Thanksgiving to your fambly! Eat as much (burp!) turkey as you can manage!
DMM and the Feline Americans