CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, February 25, 2008

Mancat Movie Monday - Romeo + Juliet

Kitties, I was very upset. My usual Friday Movie Review was interrupted! My mommy came home from work early on Thursday afternoon and didn't go to work all day on Friday because she had a severe migraine. I was so busy snuggling with her and purring for her to get better that I neglected my blog. However, I decided that was no reason to skip or delay my review . . . so today is MANCAT MOVIE MONDAY!







You may remember the family picture I had on my blog last Wednesday. Well, kitties, that picture was taken right before Mommy and Almost Dad LEFT ME to go to the Shakespeare Tavern to see Romeo and Juliet! I was one mad mancat. How could they leave me to see Shakespeare without me? ESPECIALLY the play that has my namesake in it?! Mommy explained to me that they don't let kitties in to see plays. I almost pulled out my "Igor Kittenovsky" disguise again, but then I remembered that seeing the play was mommy's Valentine's present to Almost Dad, and that we had the movie at home. So while they were gone, my sisters and I sat down with some temptations and a Dr Pepper I had Holly help sneak out of the fridge, and we watched "Romeo + Juliet."


Directed By : Baz Luhrman


Written By: William Shakespeare (Play)


Craig Pearce (Screenplay)







Two households, both alike in dignity

In fair Verona, where we lay our scene,

From ancient grudge break to new mutiny,

Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean.

From forth the fatal loins of these two foes

A pair of star-cross'd lovers take their life;

Whose misadventured piteous overthrows

Do with their death bury their parents' strife.

William Shakespeare - Romeo and Juliet Prologue



Kitties, if you can't sneak into a theatre to see the play performed live, this is the next best thing. While it is a more modern telling of Shakespeare's classic tragedy, the dialogue is straight from the original play. Although they use guns instead of swords, and Mercutio shows up to the infamous Capulet party in drag, the spirit of the play is still intact; in fact, this kitty reviewer dares to say that Shakespeare's work is actually enhanced by the modernization. Leonardo DiCaprio is a magnificent Romeo, and Claire Danes is a wonderfully luminescent Juliet. And as for Tybalt . . . well, John Leguizamo plays my namesake with verve and flair, a true Prince of Cats.




Tybalt



I have watched this movie many, many times with my mommy. There are parts that I can actually quote, like the prologue I added above. The ability of the actors in this film makes the sometimes incomprehensible Shakespearean dialogue easy to understand. Mercutio's death, and Romeo's subsequent killing of Tybalt, has never been portrayed with as much feeling as it is in this film, and when Romeo stands in the pouring rain crying to the heavens "I am fortune's fool!" it is hard for a kitty not to tear up in sympathy.


Romeo and Juliet Meet

There are parts of this movie to appeal to anyone. Ivy loves the very beginning, when the men of Capulet and Montague meet and have an altercation . . . she loves the comedy involved in the insults, and of course the ultimate explosion of the gas station. Holly loves it when Romeo climbs up to the balcony in order to sneak another peek at Juliet. My favorite parts are any of the fighting scenes . . . there is so much color and movement! My mommy's favorite scene is when Romeo and Juliet first see each other at the party . . . there are no words, only music, and yet no words need to be spoken; all of the wonder each feels is flawlessly expressed in their movement and faces.

Romeo and Juliet Kiss

I give this movie two paws up and an excited "chirp." This is definitely one of those movies that you must see . . . make sure your bean gets ready with pjs, a fuzzy blankie, yummy snacks, and plenty of tissue for the leaky eyes before you watch it together.

Happy Mancat Monday, Everykitty!

20 meows:

The Furry Kids said...

Furry good review, Tybalt. Momma forgot about the John Leguizamo (she can't spell) Tybalt. She thinks she likes you better. :)
Happy Monday to you!

Love,
Tazo

Captain Jack and Sir Dante said...

We wondered which version you were going to review. Mommy and Daddy both like this movie though she admits that having the guns replace swords took some getting used to - only cause she really likes swords(we have them hanging on our wall for Bast's sake!). Good review Tybalt. We hope your Mommy is all better soon.

Icon Baxter Bentley said...

My mama LOVES that movie!! Very nice choice for Mancat Movie Monday, good buddy.

JB's Big and Small Worlds said...

A love story.....kinda like me and Ben? :^)
Hey, I mentioned you in my post about apes a few days ago....you reminded me of this story when you were talking about onions recently.
--JB

Daisy said...

I am glad you still got to do your movie review. Romeo and Juliet is such a romantic tale.

Diamond Emerald-Eyes said...

I did miss your movie review, I was wondering what had happened to you. I hope you Mombean is feeling better now.

Samantha & Mom said...

Oh Tybalt, I missed you while you were gone!! And I love Romeo and Juliet,, but I have never seen that version. We are back online. Our Mom was visiting a mouse and a whale last weekend! You can post the picture I had made of the two of us on your blog, too. Did you see my dress for the Oscars? It was Saturday's post.
Purrrs and nose kisses,
Samantha

HRH Yao-Lin said...

that is a staggeringly good film, one of my favourites! I am partial to the fish tank scene. Ok, it's more like the 'falling in love' scene but the fish tank is pretty cool!

My human also loves moulin rouge, directed by Baz Luhrman. Would love to read a review on that one day? it's a love it or hate it kind of film but me and the human love it! x

Angel MoMo and Charlotte said...

Great review, as usual. WE love it too. Correction, SS loves it, I snooze through it.

I like Yao-lin's suggestion - The Moulin Rouge. Do talk about it when you have a chance.

Anonymous said...

We get the impression that you may like this movie Tybalt! Mom lloves a good love story, but she likes them better with Happy Endings. There's enough unhappy endings in real life.

The Misadventures Of Me said...

mommy Bean hasn't showed mes that movie yet. Have you seen Lord of the Dance? The bean kids loves that movie too. It's great to watch on St Patricks day!

Mr. Hendrix said...

wonderful review! we too like this version. the guns threw us off at first, but we dealt with it. i'm very glad you got to review, even if it is today not Friday! we look forward to them every week.

I'd think Ivy would like the altercation scenes too. Bendrix loves any movie scene with chaos in it!

I hope your mommy's migraine is all gone. My mommy gets those sometimes and we know they stink.

Queen Snickers, Empress and Princess Renna said...

Momma liked that movie, she is a Shakespeare fan! We feel sorry for your mommy, mine has chronic migraines so we know how bad it is. :( ~Queen Snickers

Unknown said...

Another movie to add to my list, Thanks Tybalt.

Anita said...

Some day you must recommend "Moulin Rouge"! I love this movie.

michico*Adan*Lego-小芥*阿丹*樂高 said...

I like this movie as well~!
Very special point of view to see this great work~!!

Dr Tweety of da Fab Five said...

Tybalt,

Glad to see you likes moviez. We likes 'em oevfur here too.
Da momee here wants you to know dat she iz furry grateful dat you vizited. She iz still too sad to do da regular bloggin', but soon I hope.
Love,
Dr Tweety

Forty Paws said...

Great review! 2 paws up and a chirp! How exciting!

Luf, Us

Dragonheart, Merlin, Devi, and Chloe said...

Thanks for the great review, Tybalt. Our mom has seen the play performed several times, but has not seen this movie version.

We are sorry to hear your mom had a migraine, and hope she is feeling better.

Karen Jo said...

I haven't seen this version, though I have seen some others. Maybe I'll check it out some day.