CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, January 11, 2008

Friday Movie Revew - Sweeney Todd

Thank you Zoolatry for the great graphic!


Sometimes a kitty reviewer desires a fresher, more current movie to review. This was the case for me this week. For quite awhile now, I have seen the trailers for "Sweeney Todd" on the television, and I found myself intrigued. I know my mommy has been to see this movie twice . . . without me, mind you. She told me that kitties weren't allowed in movie theatres. I thought about that, and then came up with a plan.


Disguised as a Russian foreign exchange student named Igor Kittenovsky, I easily gained entrance to the theatre! After ordering myself a popcorn to play with and a Dr Pepper to sip, I settled in the plush seat to watch the show.


Director: Tim Burton
Writers: John Logan (screenplay)




Kitties, this movie is not for the squeamish. And if you don't have a dark sense of humor, you probably shouldn't watch it. That being said . . . . I LOVED IT.

As with other Tim Burton movies, "Sweeney Todd" has a wonderful use of color and great use of cinematography that sets the mood and underscores the plot. From the opening sequence in which the overture is played to a backdrop of credits and bloody, grimy London sewers (with rats!) to our introduction to Mrs. Lovett and her pie shop to the final denouement in the bake house, Burton's use of color and camera angle enhances the experience until a kitty just has to chirp in happiness. And this is without even taking into account the great acting and singing!



Johnny Depp fills the title role with panache. As usual, he has taken a quirky anti-hero and made it into something that my mommy will drool over for days. Helena Bonham Carter (another one of my mommy's favorites) plays Mrs. Lovett, and manages to make her both practical and romantic . . . even as she is chopping up Todd's victims into meat pies in the basement. Both Depp and Carter did their own singing, and might I say that they did wonderful jobs.

I am sure you kitties are all aware that this film is an adaptation of Sondheim's original musical, directed by Harold Prince. What you might not know is that Angela Lansbury is the original Mrs. Lovett! You can look here to see that in 1982 there was a television production of the musical, and it is available to view on DVD. I plan to put this on mommy's Netflix queue.



Not only was this an original Broadway production, it is actually based on a true story. For those kitties with inquiring minds, you can read all about the real Sweeney Todd here.

As you may have guessed, "Sweeney Todd" gets two paws up . . . for those kitties with a more macabre sense of humor and a strong stomach.

I hope you enjoyed my review, kitties! I am off to take a nap after my thrilling theatre adventure. Purrs!

23 meows:

Samantha & Mom said...

Great review Tybalt! So glad your disguise worked and you got in the theater! Sounds like a great movie. I'll to see if I can sneak in! I have an Award for you at my Blog.
Nose kisses,
Samantha

ZOOLATRY said...

Awesome & Gruesome: we haven't seen movie, but got to see play on Broadway many years ago. PS, if you want to use Tybalt's Take weekly, please do not bother to give credit on it; not needed...
thanks!

Dragonheart, Merlin, Devi, and Chloe said...

Thanks for the great review, Tybalt. We're not sure if we want to see it - we are a little squeamish, but it sounds like a great musical.

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Oh Tybalt I think you have a real talent in movie reviewing. Momma loved the original Broadway version of Sweeny Todd and it sounds like that they found the right director to make a Sonndeheim musical this time!

*Momma's favorite song from is Not While I'm Around.....

Purrs
Abby

Gemini and Ichiro said...

My humans may have to go see that, if they don't get too busy!

Daisy said...

I am not sure about that movie; we love Johnny Depp, but I do not understand the singing part combined with the horror part.

HRH Yao-Lin said...

Oooh that film hasn't been released in the uk yet, I can't wait to watch it! Looks just like my cup of tea!

Queen Snickers, Empress and Princess Renna said...

Hhmmm momma is intrigued but is not sure she has the stomach for it, but it is Jonny Depp so we'll see! There are some other movies momma wants to see too... Queen Snickers

Captain Jack and Sir Dante said...

Mommy says to tell you that we have to go see the production in May at the Fox!! Do you think they will let kitties in there?

Jan Price said...

That was a great review, Tybalt. We are squeamish so we'll pass on seeing the movie, but we enjoyed the review.

jans funny farm

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed the film as much as your human did... the music is amazing, of course, but there's too much blood spilling for my taste. I'll just get a CD of the soundtrack...

Zippy, Sadie, Speedy and M'Gee said...

Ooo, we neffur been in a movie theater...maybe we should disquise ourselves and go. We heard mom and dad say da one dey go to has nice plush chairs. Maybe we will go see Sweeney Todd, we all have a pretty dark sense of humor. Just like our beans...

Kimo and Sabi said...

Whut a great review - AND disguise! Mommakitty loves anything wif Johnny Dep in it!

Karen Jo said...

Thank you for the great review. I have been wondering about this film. I have the TV production and like it, but I wasn't sure what Tim Burton was going to do with it. It sounds like he made a pretty faithful adaptation.

Sassy Kat said...

Wonderful review! The mom and dad of the house saw it and really liked it too. Of course, the mom of the house really likes Johnny Depp and said that he could just stand still on the screen for two hours and she would still watch the movie. He could sing good they also mentioned.

Jenny said...

What a great review! You should be on TV reviewin' 'em every day!
Very truly yours,
The Whiskers & Purrs Gang

Hot(M)BC said...

Our Mommy is like Sassy's Mommy and would watch Johnny do nuffin for hours and be happy. She lufed the movie lots. Grate review, Tybalt!
Fanks for joining the Bad Kitty Cats festival of Chaos this week!
Purrrrrrs,
Sanjee and the gang

Spike William and Angels China Cat and Willow said...

Not only did I enjoy your review but what an excellent disguise! My Lap Lady also like looking at that Johnny Depp!

Purrrrrs, China Cat

Mr. Hendrix said...

I think my other comment didn't save? Bummer.
Anyway, here it is again! We loved Sweeney Tood. Mommy said she didn't think she'd ever find a demon barber "hot" but then there was Johnny Depp. She thinks he is "dreamy." Yuck.
It is not for the squeamish (all that cornsyrup!) but mommy and daddy loved it.

The Furry Kids said...

Awesome review! Momma has a thing for Johnny Depp. She was very happy to stop over here and see his picture posted all over. hee hee

Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

That was quite a disguise and a very good review too.
And what lady bean doesn't have a thing for Johnny Depp??

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous Oscar winning review! Concatulations again!

Unknown said...

My gosh I love this movie. My mom is an Angela fan and when she heard about the movie, she took me and my best friend to see it the day it came out as a sleepover actitvity. I lovett so much, as much as Rocky Horror I'd say.